29 August 2010

BACKPACKING TRIP HIGHLIGHTS...

Just a quick note to share some of my trip this weekend. The guys were great and did a good job of training and learning. We had a few seasoned packers and a few brand new first-timers who worked together to complete the trip.
Our intrepid crew set off with pack, map and compass. We covered about 8 miles in distance and over 1100 feet of elevation change. Not one scout tired or faltered and we all learned a lot.
I made the trek more easily than I expected and really enjoyed the cool, dry weather. This photo is NOT one of the "Monty Python" characters who pops out to complain in the old series, but the hat could fool you.
After the hike we cooled off in the lake and the guys all got to be ninja's on the float in the lake.
On saturday night I showed the guys how to make orange cakes on the campfire. They were delicious!
Evenings were spent working on merit badges, advancement, chess and various card games. Rumor is that one guy may have lost his star rank in a poker game, but we will have to verify that later.
Sitting at home looking over the photo's made the trip even better, I can't wait to finish posting them on the website for the guys. I hope y'all enjoy them as well. Time to finish unpacking and getting back to  the work week.
 Until next time, I'll be seein' ya'...

5 comments:

Bill T said...

Looks like a great time. Havent been up in the Mtn's this year. I miss it.

CShore said...

You'll have to share your orange cakes recipe. It looks like a great place to hike and spend a weekend in the woods. Glad you had fun.

Sue said...

Honey, I am so happy you had a great time. There should be more men like you to give of their time for these precious young men. I love you

Dottie O said...

Let's discuss the orange cakes when you come up north in October.

paul smith said...

great time.
I am so happy you had a great time.