25 July 2010

THE DOG DAYS ARE HERE...

AND IT IS HOT...
   So I am holed up in the house and having a "snow day". The dog days of summer make it too hot to do much of anything productive, so we close all the curtains, run all the fans and enjoy the cool comfort of a nap; just like winter, but better.
CHRISTMAS IS COMING...
And last week I went with some of the scouts to tag trees. As most of you know, my scout troop sells Christmas trees every year as our big fund raiser. Every july we travel to Highlands North Carolina and choose our trees for the season.
This year we had a good group and did the job in short order. The tree farm is family owned and run and has been doing business with us for years. The guys always enjoy their lunch break at the cabin in the sky. And our weather was perfect with cool breezes up at the mountain tops and low humidity.
On the way back home we always stop to cool off at Talulah Gorge state park. The water was cool and refreshing.
THEN THE HEAT WAS ON...
 Back home this week we have been seeing temps and humidity in the 90's. That makes for a tough commute for man and machine, but we all managed to make it to the weekend just fine.
Our butterflys are back, so Eve and Granpa' snapped a few photo's while cooling off. The butterfly's love Granny's big lantana plant out front.
After a cool chocolate frosty Eve and I decided to cool off under the sprinkler.
THAT'S ABOUT IT...
  We are all looking forward to Aaron and Michael returning from their big adventure out in Cimmeron, New Mexico. They have been backpacking in the high desert at Philmont scout ranch for the last week and will be returning with great stories and memories soon.
   Granny just woke from her snow day nap and I want another slice of that chilled watermellon in the fridge. Tomorrow it's back to work and all of the daily activities.

  Until next time, I'll be seein' ya'...

4 comments:

Peggie said...

Sounds like the heat is getting to everyone...... We haven't ventured out much either. It's just too hot!! Glad you're still enjoying life, though!!

Sue said...

I enjoyed that long, long nap! It was great.
Life is good - especially with you, my darlin'.

CShore said...

Here lately by the time I get done with a day at work, it takes another day just to recover from being out in the heat so much, so I feel your pain!

April and I went canoeing yesterday despite the heat, and I'm glad we did. It was actually pretty nice out on the river, and we had a blast. I'm glad to hear that you guys had such a good trip.

Dottie O said...

Great pics as usual. Love the mountain shots & the sky. You have a nice bunch of boys/men I trust? I can't imagine you putting up with alot of 'TomFoolery'. Also at their age, it seems, they're in it for the long haul/Eagle Scout. Keep up the good work Cuz.
Love ya, Dottie