10 January 2011

SNOW DAY...

Here in the sunny south we don't get snow very often. When we do, it is usually does not amount to much and melts away quickly. Not this time!
 The big, wet, fluffy flakes began Sunday evening and piled up pretty fast.
 By morning we had about 6 inches of snow. The unfortunate part was that we also got a steady mix of sleet that worked under the snow and became solid ice.
    If you walked or drove on this surface you broke through the crust and got no traction. Caution was required to get up the hill and off our street.
   It was really beautiful, despite the 25 degree temperature.
FOR THE REST OF THE DAY...
  I just enjoyed time at home with family. I made a big pot of storm stew and we relaxed and enjoyed the tasty warmth while watching old movies and staying warm under a blanket on the sofa.
  Tomorrow we have been told that ice will be a major problem. The county has already canceled school, the public transit will not be running buses until late and we are already planning to be home with our boy.
  Until next time, stay warm and I'll be seein' ya'...

2 comments:

Sue said...

Honey, I loved the breakfast in bed this morning - now that's the way to start a snow day. Grits and pancakes, yummy. The storm stew was awesome and Denny loved it, too.

CShore said...

I feel your pain. We got 6 inches here as well. Also got recalled for a huge structure fire and had to get out in that mess. I just slept at the firehouse that night since I had to be back in the morning anyway. I love my truck, but a Jeep woulda been handy!